Self Defense Tactics
Womens Safety Tips
Safety Tips Women
Her Protection Tips
Click Here for
How To Protect Yourself On The City Streets
Street Smarts For Women
Street crime is on the increase in most large U.S. cities. It is also becoming more
prevalent in small communities. The following list of "safeguards" will help
protect you - and may even save your life!
1. When leaving home, make sure that all doors and windows are locked - including the
2. Watch for loiterers and do not carry large sums of money.
3. If possible, travel with another person. This is especially true after dark.
4. When carrying a purse, women should have only 3 or 4 one dollar bills placed inside.
Credit cards, currency, driver's license, keys and jewelry should be carried in a coat or
sweater pocket or concealed on your person to reduce the opportunity of large losses. If
you do carry a purse, don't wrap the strap around your shoulder, neck or wrist. If your
purse is grabbed, a strong strap will not yield easily and you may be injured. Some purse
snatch victims have been thrown off balance & received concussions, broken hips, arms
or legs. Don't carry anything more valuable than you can afford to lose. Always leave all
unnecessary credit cards at home. When you shop and carry a purse, put it in your shopping
5. At night, travel only well-lighted and well-traveled streets.
6. Never hitchhike or accept rides from strangers.
7. Walk on the side of the street nearest to oncoming traffic. If accosted by someone in a
car, run in the direction opposite the way the car is headed.
8. Beware of people who approach asking directions; keep a polite but safe distance.
9.. Upon returning home, particularly after dark, do not linger at the entrance of your
residence. Make a quick check for mail or newspapers, and enter immediately. If you feel
something is strange, don't enter but go elsewhere and call for police assistance.
10. If you feel someone is following you, go to the nearest occupied residence or
building, and ask for assistance.
11. If you are confronted with a dangerous situation, cry out for assistance. Yelling
"FIRE! FIRE!" instead of "Help!" will generally bring faster
Return to Womens Self Defense Center
Protection Center Index